Popular Posts

Friday, June 24, 2011

Sticking My Neck Out

Good morning, Blogolanders! This post will offend many people, and it has nothing to do with the Honorable Mayor Mack or the city of Trenton. Has to do with state employees. Most of you know each month a comfortable state pension check is deposited into my checking account. Most of you also know (or should know) that the state pension system is in the toilet. Governor Chrities is trying to keep from flushing the whole damn thing down into the sewer. The unions are livid because he bypassed collective bargaining. They have a point, BUT did any union call the governor's office and offer to sit down to renegotiate the contracts? Did any union admit that these contacts were Cadillac class when the state can barely afford a Chevy? Sadly, no. And I can't blame Chris Christie for this mess or even Corzine or McGreevey. I do, however, blame Mrs. Whitman who bragged about her tax cuts which she financed by NOT making payments into the state pension fund. Did anyone scream about that? I know I did. My feeling was, "Screw the tax cuts. Just don't raise my taxes for a while." Time flies with no payments into the pension fund; more and more people retire. Not only do they retire, but they also want their COLAs. Cost of Living Allowance. Christie stopped the COLAs, but he did not reduce the pension payment - not yet, anyway. Last year, I assumed my pension would be cut back; I figured about $100 a month so I made adjustments in my standard of living. My pension was cut back just $8. Big deal. I don't know how else to say it. THE MONEY IS NOT THERE! Most of these contracts were signed when the economy was growing and growing. Everyone looked forward to solid growth. Then bottom fell out. So fellow retirees and current state workers - Please, please accept the fact that the money is not there! In fact, if we ALL (and that includes me) tighten our financial belts, the state may be able to solve this mess, and then we can all get more money each month. Now, for whatever it's worth, I do feel those who make really big salaries should kick in more in state taxes. There I disagree with the governor. So again, PLEASE ACCEPT THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO MONEY!

No comments: