Popular Posts

Friday, April 22, 2011

Bed Bugs!

This has become a hot topic in our fair city; last evening, at council, the subject came up. It was obvious landlords weren't crazy about the idea of taking responsibility for the problem, and I left with mixed emotions. By the way, the director of the city health department told me it was not a public health matter because bed bugs do not spread disease. I disagree. Whether they cause disease or not, the current problem is a public health matter, but more on that later. This morning, The Kid chewed me out and suggested I talk to a man known to be an excellent landlord - Bob Wagner of Artifacts Gallery. Mr. Wagner may not like the various rules and regulations imposed on landlords, but he follows them to THE LETTER. Since I had a framing project, I stopped by late this morning, and asked for his imput. Bob's answer was, "Mrs. Stewart, I, the landlord, did not bring in the mattress with the bed bugs; I did not bring in the sofa with the bed bugs - no, I'm not responsible." He's right. If a tenant moves in with bed bug infested possessions, it's the tenant's problem. If the city does anything, it should be to get the word out - and fast - about where these little buggers come from. They hide in used furniture, used clothing, used mattresses, you name it. I also realize good tenants can introduce the little critters by accident, but the landlord did not do it. There is no easy solution to this problem, BUT we must all put hysteria to one side, sit down calmly, listen to solid advice on how to solve the problem, and then do it. No, the landlords are not to be held responsible. If I owned rental property, I probably would have the place fumigated each time the unit turned over just to be on the safe side. There is no easy, immediate answer to this problem; nothing, however, will be solved until everyone stops screaming, "It's not my problem." One last word, I reread these gems at least twice before posting yet I continue to miss typos. One really should not proof one's own work, but I don't have a secretary. Ergo, I apologize in advance for any typos - I know they are annoying.

No comments: