Popular Posts

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Age Appropriate

Good morning, Blogolanders.  Before I get going on, "A Tale of Two Cities," I want to post my feelings about raising the ago of smoking, buying cigarettes, selling cigarettes (or any tobacco product) to those under the age of 18.  Yes, smoking is a dirty, dangerous habit - hell, look at me - my breathing problems are NOT the result of working with asbestos.  My problem with this is how we cherry pick - for example - anyone 18 or older can vote, sign a binding contract, join the military, get married, BUT until they are 21 these people cannot buy a drink. 

My feeling is if one is old enough to vote, go into debt (via binding contract), become cannon fodder for the military, take on a spouse, one is old enough to have a beer and a cigarette.  For those of you who disagree, the solution is very simple.  One is an infant until one reaches the age of 21.  No voting, no binding contracts, no military, no marriage, no alcohol, no tobacco. 

Oh, will the politicians scream about that!  If our fearless leaders want to save our young people from the evils of tobacco, do what Princeton has done.  Make it impossible to smoke anywhere.  Have any of you, dear Blogolanders, tried to smoke a cigarette in Princeton?  I'm not sure you can do so on your own front porch. 

Until we stop this cherry picking, I say leave the current regs in place - one must be over 18 to buy tobacco. 

No comments: