Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Teachable Moment

A while back, President Obama used this expression with regard to an incident in Massachusetts. Right now, he should take his own advice. This blog entry is not about a local issue but a national one. The question of whether employers MUST provide birth control/abortion coverage in the employer provided health plan. Employers opposed to birth control/abortion are most unhappy - as they should be. Here's how it goes, Blogolanders. I apply for a job with the Roman Catholic Church; I should have a basic understanding of the beliefs of this religion and should not expect birth control/abortion coverage. If I want it, I have a few options - (1) pay the full cost myself (2) go work elsewhere (3) buy my own supplemental policy. By insisting on this coverage, President Obama is asking this group to violate their religious principles which is probably illegal. And where does it stop? Will Hebrew schools be forced to serve milk with every meal even when lunch is chicken salad? So long as the religon or group is not practicing human scarifice, I say to the federal government - MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 110% pro-choice, and am also in 110% agreement with you on this one.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Stewart...nice job on "This American Life". As usual, your quotes are concise and meaningful. Same for Michael Walker, Tracy Syphax and the others in the report. Glad to see there really ARE MANY of us sharing the same views about our town.